This page contains complete audition information for our 2022 PMEA District 12 Chorus, Band, and Orchestra Festival Auditions. We are excited to be returning to full three-day festivals this year.
FESTIVAL DATES & LOCATIONS:
District 12 Chorus Jan 12-14 at Octorara High School (Doreen Steinmacher)
District 12 Orchestra Jan 26-28 at Conestoga High School (Chris Nation)
District 12 Band Feb 9-11 at Coatesville High School (Gabriel Hughes)
All auditions for District Ensembles will be held through video submission this November, using the Submittable platform. Students will register themselves and pay the registration fee using the Submittable link. The link will be posted on this page on Nov 14. Sight-reading and scale selections will be posted on this page Nov. 13. Please review our official D12 Audition Policies HERE.
Mon 11/14/2022 Audition window OPENS on Submittable at 12:00AM
Sat 11/19/2022 Audition window CLOSES on Submittable at 11:59PM
Mon 11/21/2022 Directors of participating students review and score submissions
Mon 11/28/2022 Deadline for participating directors to complete assigned scoring
SAT 12/3/2022 10am MANDATORY in-person meeting for directors of students who have auditioned. Garnet Valley High School, 552 Smithbridge Rd, Glen Mills, PA. Breakfast served starting at 9am. Important information will be discussed, folders/paperwork will be distributed.
GUIDELINES FOR AUDITION VIDEO RECORDING & SUBMISSIONS
- READ THE GUIDELINES BELOW AND FOLLOW THEM. Deviation from the guidelines below can result in a lowered score, or disqualification.
- Review the posted audition requirements for your instrument or voice part carefully.
- The deadline for auditions to be submitted is 11:59PM on 11/19/2022. Do not wait until the last minute to submit your audition. Technology or internet issues can cause delays in submitting. Late auditions will not be accepted.
- Use a device or app that will record a video in a file format compatible with the Submittable website. The built-in microphone and video camera of most modern phones and laptops is sufficient for an accurate recording. However, it is recommended that students review their recordings for sound quality and make adjustments as necessary.
- Each music excerpt must be recorded from start to finish without cuts and/or splices. Students’ hands/body/face must be visible in the video.
- Each separate excerpt and scale should be recorded in a separate video (exception: percussion scales are recorded in a single uncut video and percussion rudiments are recorded in a single uncut video).
- When recording an audition video, no identifying clothing may be worn (i.e. no school t-shirts, no name identification, no PMEA, NAfME All Eastern or National shirts). Additionally, please do not include any identifying information in the video file name or in the content of the recording (i.e. your name or school name).
- There is no requirement to perform from memory. Students are permitted to read from sheet music for any of the audition requirements.
- There can be NO use of any device that can be perceived to give aid to a student (i.e. no earphones,airpods, etc.)
CHORAL AUDITION MATERIAL
Students should prepare the pieces listed below in their entirety. Selected portions to be recorded for the audition will be posted on Nov 13.
Just as the Tide Was Flowing
Vaughan Williams – Galaxy Music Corporation
JW Pepper #380972 https://www.jwpepper.com/Just-as-the-Tide-Was-Flowing/380972.item#.YqtQdhPMKrN
Practice Tracks: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aG0oxeZVloS1IdmTodhs0BwKq2urtXAi?usp=sharing
Eleanor Daley – Jubilate Music Group, LLC
JW Pepper #3037793 https://www.jwpepper.com/In-Remembrance/3037793.item#.YqtQcRPMKrM
PIANO ACCOMPANIST AUDITIONS
Students should prepare the accompaniment to the above choral audition pieces. In addition, students should prepare to play open score for both choral audition pieces (i.e. S/A, T/B, S/T, A/B, etc.).
INSTRUMENTAL AUDITION MATERIAL
Auditions for District Band and Orchestra will consist of the following:
- Two prepared excerpts. Excerpts are listed below by instrument and should be performed in their entirety for the recorded audition.
- Selected major scales. Students should prepare the complete list of required scales posted by instrument. Selected scales for the recorded audition will be posted on November 13.
- A short-term preparation piece (“sight reading”) that will be posted on November 13.
INSTRUMENTAL DIRECTORS: Please review the audition excerpts and let us know as soon as possible if you see any need for corrections. Email corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for any updates/corrections is August 15, 2022. After that date, all excerpts will be judged exactly as posted. All of the excerpts below are transcribed from published sources, and will be judged exactly as they appear below.
- BASS & CONTRABASS CLARINET
- CONTRA ALTO CLARINET
- ALTO SAXOPHONE
- TENOR SAXOPHONE
- BARITONE SAXOPHONE
- F HORN
- EUPHONIUM TC
- Prepare all three etudes: Year B Etudes (Xylophone, Timpani, and Snare Drum).
- Scales (Mallets)
- Rudiments: Prepare all 40 PAS rudiments. Four of the rudiments will be selected for the audition and will be posted on Nov. 2 (along with the etude excerpts and required scales). All rudiments are to be performed Open-Closed-Open. (slow to fast to slow or soft to loud to soft) as specified on the PAS sheet.
Click here for the complete schedule of At-Large All-State auditions. Including Harp, Jazz, Accompanist, and Concert Band, Wind Ensemble At-Large instruments.
Information about All-State auditions can be found at the PMEA website