Scales, Choral Excerpts, Percussion Rudiments, and Instrumental Sight-Reading Excerpts have been released! CLICK HERE TO ACCESS COMPLETE AUDITION GUIDE AND INFO
AUDITION WINDOW OPENS MONDAY, 11/14/22 at 12:00am Submittable link: https://pmeadistrict12.submittable.com/submit
Sat 11/19/2022 Audition window CLOSES on Submittable at 11:59PM
*****DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO UPLOAD YOUR VIDEOS. DELAYS CAN BE CAUSED BY TECHNICAL ISSUES OR INCORRECT VIDEO FILE SIZE/FORMAT. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE FOR LATE SUBMISSIONS.*******
All auditions for District Ensembles will be held through video submission this November, using the Submittable platform. Students will register themselves and pay the registration fee using the Submittable link. Please review our official D12 Audition Policies HERE.
Directors who have students submitting an audition, be sure to do the following:
1) Fill out the Director Registration Form (must be a current PMEA Member).
2) Read the Audition requirements, D12 Audition Policies, and Video Audition Guidelines in full
3) Communicate all information about auditions promptly to your students
4) Directors of participating students will be assigned video scoring duties. Be prepared to complete your judging assignments in a timely manner. (11/21 – 11/27)
5) Plan to attend the mandatory meeting on Sat, Dec 3 at 10am, Garnet Valley High School. Folders will be distributed and important information discussed.
Mon 11/21/2022 Directors of participating students review and score submissions
Sun 11/27/2022 9pm Deadline for participating directors to complete assigned scoring
SAT 12/3/2022 10am MANDATORY in-person meeting for directors of students who have auditioned. Garnet Valley High School, 552 Smithbridge Rd, Glen Mills, PA. Breakfast served starting at 9am. Important information will be discussed, folders/paperwork will be distributed.
FESTIVAL DATES & LOCATIONS:
District 12 Chorus Jan 12-14 at Octorara HS (Scott Cullen), Guest Conductor Dr. Marci Major
District 12 Orchestra Jan 26-28 at Conestoga HS(Chris Nation), Guest Conductor Dr. Timothy Dixon
District 12 Band Feb 9-11 location TBD, Guest Conductor, Dr. Andrew Yozviak
Region 6 Chorus Feb 16 – 18* at West Chester University (Jon Kreamer, Ryan Battin, hosts) Guest conductor Dr. Amelia Garbisch. (note – this is one week earlier than originally scheduled.)
Region 6 Orchestra Mar 9 -11 at Bayard Rustin HS (Katrina Kelly, host), Guest Conductor Emily Freeman-Brown
Region 6 Band Mar 23-25 hosted by District 11 – details coming soon.
GUIDELINES FOR AUDITION VIDEO RECORDING & SUBMISSIONS
- READ THE GUIDELINES BELOW AND FOLLOW THEM. Deviation from the guidelines below can result in a lowered score, or disqualification.
- Review the posted audition requirements for your instrument or voice part carefully.
- The deadline for auditions to be submitted is 11:59PM on 11/19/2022. Do not wait until the last minute to submit your audition. Technology or internet issues can cause delays in submitting. Late auditions will not be accepted.
- Use a device or app that will record a video in a file format compatible with the Submittable website. The built-in microphone and video camera of most modern phones and laptops is sufficient for an accurate recording. However, it is recommended that students review their recordings for sound quality and make adjustments as necessary.
- Each music excerpt must be recorded from start to finish without cuts and/or splices. Students’ hands/body/face must be visible in the video.
- Each separate excerpt and scale should be recorded in a separate video (exception: percussion scales are recorded in a single uncut video and percussion rudiments are recorded in a single uncut video).
- When recording an audition video, no identifying clothing may be worn (i.e. no school t-shirts, no name identification, no PMEA, NAfME All Eastern or National shirts). Additionally, please do not include any identifying information in the video file name or in the content of the recording (i.e. your name or school name).
- There is no requirement to perform from memory. Students are permitted to read from sheet music for any of the audition requirements.
- There can be NO use of any device that can be perceived to give aid to a student (i.e. no earphones,airpods, tuner, metronome, etc.)
CHORAL AUDITION MATERIAL
Students should prepare the pieces listed below in their entirety. Selected portions to be recorded for the audition will be posted on Nov 13.
Just as the Tide Was Flowing
Vaughan Williams – Galaxy Music Corporation
JW Pepper #380972 https://www.jwpepper.com/Just-as-the-Tide-Was-Flowing/380972.item#.YqtQdhPMKrN
Practice Tracks: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aG0oxeZVloS1IdmTodhs0BwKq2urtXAi?usp=sharing
Eleanor Daley – Jubilate Music Group, LLC
JW Pepper #3037793 https://www.jwpepper.com/In-Remembrance/3037793.item#.YqtQcRPMKrM
PIANO ACCOMPANIST AUDITIONS
Students should prepare the accompaniment to the above choral audition pieces. In addition, students should prepare to play open score for both choral audition pieces (i.e. S/A, T/B, S/T, A/B, etc.).
INSTRUMENTAL AUDITION MATERIAL
*Aug 8, 2022: Special note regarding Contra Clarinet: The SPEC Council has decided to remove the Contra-Bass/Contra-Alto Clarinet from Region and All-State Festivals. District 12 students on these instruments will still be able to audition on these instruments for the District Festivals for the 2022-2023 season, but will be unable to advance to Region and All-State Festivals due to the SPEC Council’s decision. In the event that All-State Band or Wind Ensemble instrumentation requires contra clarinet, at-large auditions will be held.
Auditions for District Band and Orchestra will consist of the following:
- Two prepared excerpts. Excerpts are listed below by instrument and should be performed in their entirety for the recorded audition.
- Selected major scales. Students should prepare the complete list of required scales posted by instrument. Selected scales for the recorded audition will be posted on November 13.
- A short-term preparation piece (“sight reading”) that will be posted on November 13.
INSTRUMENTAL DIRECTORS: Please review the audition excerpts and let us know as soon as possible if you see any need for corrections. Email corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for any updates/corrections is August 15, 2022. After that date, all excerpts will be judged exactly as posted. All of the excerpts below are transcribed from published sources, and will be judged exactly as they appear below.
- Excerpt 1 – Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Excerpt 2 – 15 Modern Etudes (link corrected 6/21/22)
- BASS & CONTRABASS CLARINET
- CONTRA ALTO CLARINET
- ALTO SAXOPHONE
- TENOR SAXOPHONE
- BARITONE SAXOPHONE
- Excerpt 1 – Tuba Mirum (updated 8-29-22)
- Excerpt 3 – La Gazza Ladra
- F HORN
- EUPHONIUM TC
- Excerpt 1 – Scheherazade Mvmt 1 (updated 8-17-22)
- Excerpt 2 – Symphony # 2, Scherzo Schumann (updated 7-29-22)
- Excerpt 1 – Symphony No. 2, Mvmt IV Brahms (updated 8-2-22)
- Excerpt 2 – Symphony No. 2, Mvmt I Brahms (updated 8-1-22)
- Prepare all three etudes: Year B Etudes (Xylophone, Timpani, and Snare Drum).
- Scales (Mallets)
- Rudiments: Prepare all 40 PAS rudiments. Four of the rudiments will be selected for the audition and will be posted on Nov. 13 (along with the etude excerpts and required scales). All rudiments are to be performed Open-Closed-Open. (slow to fast to slow or soft to loud to soft) as specified on the PAS sheet.
Click here for the complete schedule of At-Large All-State auditions. Including Harp, Jazz, Accompanist, and Concert Band, Wind Ensemble At-Large instruments.
Information about All-State auditions can be found at the PMEA website