President’s Update – Hannah Knauss, Downingtown Middle School
Welcome back to another year of music making and education in D12. I am excited to begin my two year role as the President of D12. For those whom I haven’t met, my name is Hannah Knauss, and I am the choral director at Downingtown Middle School. I have been involved in both the local and state levels of PMEA for my entire music education career. If you are new to PMEA D12 – welcome! Make sure to join our facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/pmea12/
I shared with the board at our September meeting that my three goals for this year are:
- Examine our roles and responsibilities of the board to ensure we are meeting the needs of our members.
- Support the music educators of D12 through professional development and engagement.
- Showcase the talents of our students through the student performance opportunities
such as our festivals, fests, and MPAs.
- Please fill out this google form with any names of new teachers in your district (first year teachers, or teachers who have moved to your district.) They don’t have to be PMEA members. We are looking to have a new music teacher happy hour and we need some names, so that we can reach out.
- Please click here to see all of the latest and register today!
- This year we are adding a credit card payment option. This is the preferred method moving forward. https://pmead12.ludus.com/index.php?sections=payments
Festival Updates: Auditions
- Auditions- Click here for the most up to date information and to register your students.
- Deadline to register is November 11, 2023.
- Registration is working so that only the director can register and pay for the auditions. Students are not able to register on their own. Use a school district credit card, a parent booster credit card, or your own and submit for reimbursement.
- Festival Date and Locations – Check the calendar for information
- All-State Auditions & Timelines – PMEA 2023-2024 SUBMITTABLE Calendar
- **All-State Vocal Jazz has been rebranded as All State Contemporary A Cappella Ensemble. Please click here to read the most up to date information.
Curriculum & Instruction:
- We would like to showcase the greatness that is happening in our schools. Take a moment to fill this out!
Advocacy – George Weaver UPDATE
- Perform at the Capitol – String or Choral Ensembles. Click here to apply.
- The first thing that people notice about music teachers is your talent and passion. However, the characteristic that impresses me the most is your ability to organize, plan, and execute! You can take ideas, people, random materials, sound, and put it together to make some amazing performances and life experiences. But what most people don’t see is the PLANNING and the TIME it takes. So how about a couple of tools to help! Here is the link to the PMEA Marketing Toolkit. It has already prepared materials and ideas that you can grab, use, customize to your situation. This resource has been developed by music teachers just like you and the work is waiting for you to use. And while you are online, go to the link for the PMEA Calendar for Local Advocacy. It gives you a plain, month-by-month plan for things you can easily incorporate into your schedule to advocate for your music program in your local community. Have a great start to your school year!
PMEA Membership Renewal:
Please remember to renew your PMEA membership! By joining our community of professional music educators, you have a chance to connect with other teachers, gain insight and ideas from NAfME and PMEA publications, and provide more performance opportunities for your students. Our community needs your voice, your expertise, and your input! Visit https://www.pmea.net/membership-information/